Samsung Galaxy Note 7 owners told to turn off device.
Samsung has urged owners of the Galaxy Note 7 to turn off the smartphone while it investigates new reports of the device catching fire.
Samsung said that it has recalled 2.5m phones in September after complaints of exploding batteries and later assured customers that all replaced devices were safe.
But there are now reports that even those phones that had been replaced were catching fire.
“Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 while the investigation is taking place,” the company said.
“Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available,” it added.
Smartphones have lithium batteries and there is an arms race to make them ever smaller, more efficient and charge faster. In the Samsung case, it is thought that negative and positive electrodes coming together have caused short circuits, overheating, and then causing “explosions” and meltdowns of the phones.
The US consumer protection agency has also urged people not to use their Samsung replacement devices.
“No one should have to be concerned their phone will endanger them, their family or their property,” Elliot Kaye, chairman of the safety commission, said.
He called Samsung’s decision to stop distributing the device “the right move” in light of “ongoing safety concerns”.
South Korean transport ministry on Tuesday said people should not use or charge their Note 7 devices on a plane.
The original Note 7 had already been banned by numerous aviation authorities and airlines around the world.